Tuesday, August 21, 2007

sugar is crack

First, I can't believe it's been over a week since my last post. Ack! Last week was busy, but not THAT busy. And my calendar is just going to get busier what with workshop week starting this Friday. Gainful employment begins again.

So...that little goal I set for myself last month about limiting sugars didn't go so well (as I think I have detailed in prior posts). When I was talking to my trainer about it, I told him that once I feel like I "can't" have something, then gosh darn it I want it and I'm going to eat it and so there. His response: "so if I told you not to use crack you'd decide you really want it and will go out and use it?" Umm. No. This trainer is mega into nutrition and eating real, whole foods, etc etc, and while he doesn't push that mantra on me, he does bring up nutrition stuff once in a while. His perspective is that sugar really is like crack, that it does crazy things to your body that are just not good. I've been thinking about his comment quite a bit, wondering why I respond with a petulant "but I want it" cry when I tell myself no sugar. Perhaps if I equate sugar with crack I might stop wanting it.

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Thank you for posting this. It's just what I needed to read. I wake up every day and say, 'no more sugar,' and every day I end up finding something sweet to eat. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up and say, 'sugar is crack.'

D said...

It does kind of make you think, doesn't it? Mostly about how the mind takes over the body when the body really knows better. I need to be a little bit more like Nancy Reagan and just say no :)